Spincaster loves to build custom websites for clients where we get to develop online strategies, comprehensive information architecture, personas, behavioral analysis, great calls to action and other fun user experience design considerations. But it is not always affordable for mom and pop businesses that just need a simple site up quickly.
Small business websites can be great and still be based on website templates. One reason for this is that the quality of website templates now available is much higher than just a few years ago. For Westside Canvas, a custom manufacturer of awnings and covers for residential and commercial clients, what was important was a site that reflected their brand and delivered product and service details along with a nice gallery.
The process from Spincaster still followed the website planning and online strategy we use for a custom website with the exception of matching a website template to their requirements. At the point where we would start designing and developing wireframes we instead reviewed and shortlisted several appropriate website templates that we felt matched their specific online needs.
The result is a great compromise. We were able to modify and rework the website template to fit Westside Canvas’s purpose. Here is a short list of some of our main considerations:
- Creating homepage calls to action that worked with the selected website template design.
- Coding and editing the HTML and design elements from the website template to make the look and feel more appropriate.
- Matching photo’s with content and creating an easy to manage gallery.
- Implementing a content management system for the site that also provides for a future WordPress blog manager.
- Providing search engine optimization for the coding.
- Providing search engine keyword optimization for titles and content on the website.
What’s left to do on the website? Well we can always add in content and great new photos from recent jobs. One item that is important to the owners is to show their great testimonials and start adding in industry news and new product information.
All in all a great little site that was very affordable thanks to the use of an appropriate website template and some careful planning and development by Spincaster.